Self Introductory Letter

Subject: Introductory Letter of Student Chiew Le Wei  

 
Dear Professor Blackstone,  
 
My name is Chiew Le Wei, a year 1 student pursuing a degree in mechanical engineering in Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT), and a student attending your critical thinking and communicating module.  

 
I graduated from Singapore Polytechnic (SP) in 2021 with a diploma in aeronautical engineering and a diploma plus in aviation management. Growing up, I have always had a fiery passion in the aviation industry as my father was a licensed aircraft engineer, and he often brought home small parts of the aircraft for me to tinker with. Filled with zeal, I wanted to be a pilot. However, with my worsening eyesight, it is apparent that my pilot dream is impossible, hence I have switched my interest to the engineering side as I plan to become a licensed aircraft engineer like my father, fixing and designing a better aircraft for a safer and cleaner flight. While pursuing my diploma, I did an internship at ST Engineering Aerospace, where I was involved in some top-secret projects which further piqued my interest in the aviation industry. Apart from my engineering interests, I have a love for cars and photography. As for my interest in sports, I am an avid runner and have a few medals under my belt. 


For my strength in communication, I am comfortable engaging in small group discussions. This is best portrayed when I was studying for my diploma, where there were lots of groupwork and projects to be done. Being the natural born leader, I often find myself bringing the team together for discussions and delegating the tasks evenly amongst the group. When discussions go awry, I would draw everyone back to stay on task.  


One area of weakness is my public speaking skills. I would say I am an introverted person and when speaking in front of a large audience, I tend to fumble at times even though I have prepared myself.  


My goals for this module are firstly, improve my public speaking skills, specifically in presentations and secondly, to get a deeper understanding of critical thinking skills. I hope after attending this module, I will be more comfortable speaking to a large group of audience. I look forward to attending your classes and learning new things. 
 

Thank you and best regards, 

Chiew Le Wei 

Comments

  1. I like how the way you linked your points together, its smooth. From the small plane parts as your toys, to yo your childhood becoming a pilot and to being an engineer interested the aviation industry. Your weakness is pretty much I have and most of us in the class faced right now. I believe you can overcome your weakness soon. Smooth letter and good language. Overall, very concise and informative. 👍

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Le Wei,
    I really like and feel inspire after reading your introductory letter. It really moves me as it seems like a dream of being a pilot might not be possible for you, but you redirect your goals and want to set your focus on something you like, and willing to look ahead and do what is within your reach. Totally agree that public speaking is tough, but hang in there and we will do well together!
    Very neat phrasing of content, language is 👍🏻 and of course a nice flow. Hope we get more chance to work as a team in the future!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Philbert for the words of encouragement! Glad my letter was an inspiration to you. Lets work together when we have the chance.

      Delete
  3. Hello LeWei! I really enjoyed reading your introductory letter. I am definitely able to relate to you when you said you were not able to beside a pilot due to worsening eyesight, and then you focused on your passion in engineering. I didn't want to become a pilot, but my eyes also stopped me from pursuing a career as well. Just like you, I want to pursue my passion in engineering as well!

    I believe your weakness is what majority of the people in the class are facing right now. No worries, I believe we will be able to overcome it together!

    As for your speech, I think you have done exemplary in Content, Language and Organisation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bryan for your encouraging comment. I am sure the engineering sector is diverse and we can find an industry best suited to us.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a highly informative letter, LeWei. It's well organized, clearly focused and richly detailed as you provide meaningful examples to illustrate the important points you make about yourself.

    I'm especially impressed in this post by how you explain your interest in engineering by connecting it to your father as well as an initial interest in being a pilot. With the eventual realization that in light of weak eyesight, you knew being a pilot wasn't going to happen, and yet that didnt hinder you. Its great that this led you to the focus on aeronautical, and then to the interniship at ST, and then to SIT.

    You also detail well your comm skills strength and weakness, and tie these to your leadership experience and goals for the module. I'm glad to see that you've already made good on the desire to improve your public speaking by embracing the vodcast, which is simply one form of pubic speaking.

    In terms of language use, this is really a fine effort, but there are a couple things to take note of, expecially in light of the sentence structure issues I mentioned in class Tuesday:
    -- However, with my worsening eyesight, it is apparent that my pilot dream is impossible, hence I have switched my interest to the engineering side as I plan to become a licensed aircraft engineer like my father. > (comma splice) ?

    -- Fixing and designing a better aircraft for a safer and cleaner flight. > (fragment)

    We may discuss these in class.

    Best wishes for the rest of the module and for the vodcast competition!

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the detailed reply Prof Blackstone. I will make the necessary ammendments and will be more mindful in the future. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts